Thursday, May 26, 2011

Staying Motivated by Starting Out the Day With a Win

blog9Lately, looking at my to-do list, I’ve felt pretty snowed. I’ve got Finger Lickin’ Dead releasing June 7th, a book due July 1, and a complete outline for another book due August 1.

And the children are almost out of school for the summer. :)

I’m good at prioritizing the things I need to do, but when everything is a priority, it makes it tough.

What I’ve found keeps me knocking through the items on my to-do list, is a couple of different approaches.

Some days I’ll put several quick and easy tasks on my to-do list—stuff that I need to do, but that only take a second. So my list could have these things on it: 1) Put sunflower seed in the birdfeeder 2) Water potted plants on front porch 3) Put newspapers in recycling bin

Honestly, I feel so smug after crossing three things off on my list, that I start attacking the rest of the to-do list with renewed vigor. Sad, but true.

My other approach is to put the most loathed, procrastinated task on the top of my to-do list. Then, the whole rest of the day, I’m proud of myself for knocking it out. It gives me more motivation to keep crossing things off my list.

I’m a productivity nut, so please share how you stay motivated and don’t get overwhelmed by your to-do lists. Inquiring minds want to know!

*************

Sign up for the free, monthly Writer’s Knowledge Base newsletter for writing tips and resources and to be entered in our first giveaway. Details here.

Finger Lickin’ Dead launches June 7th